Monday, February 18, 2008

The Arts in Second Life

Hi! today I'm going to talk about art in Second Life. As much as I love SL, there are days when everything I see is a bad trip to the psychedelic eyesore mall. It is on days like this when I really appreciate the work of great artists in SL. 



Anshe Chung's Dresden Gallery is realistic replica of the Dresden Gallery and home to a brilliant collection of old masters, complete with histories note cards and an audio tour. Remember to pick up the free headphones in the lobby. One of my favorite things to do here is just waltz around the courtyard.


The Grid Gallery in Idearium was one of the first really good art galleries I was shown in SL and is still around although they have moved the art to a new building across from the original schoolhouse.


Much of  what I was witness to in the past was the work of RL painters but the collection seems to be moving in a New Media direction. Brilliant nonconventional Photography as well. 


Visit The Grid Gallery





The Collective in Gourdneck is home to the real life Leed's College of Art and Design. A lot of what the students have done is tailored to Second Life. These artists are exploring a new frontier for art and we're just seeing what works and what doesn't through the palettes of these art pioneers. The gallery in Gourdneck has a few films to enjoy, as well as paintings and sculpture.


Also managed by this group is the Design for Digital Media Lab. The Collective Region is more of an art studio for the students but I have found they are welcoming to visitors and happy to answer questions or chat. Really worth a look to see what people are working on.



Second Louvre in Tompson is neither a replica of the actual building nor is the art in this SIM is reflective of what is showing at the actual Louvre. I have included it in my list because there is some really interesting sculpture in SL and this collection shows some fine examples. In talking about Second Life art, there primarily are two schools: representational and trip out. Second Louvre leans heavily towards the trip out. 


I just recently discovered Sintetika - the lovely and talented Ginger Eclipse invited me over the other night to see her SIM and I was amazed. The artwork is amazing, poetic and thought provoking.





Two main galleries (Kentro and Hazard - the one with the rocket powered pirate sailing ship crashed in to it) are displaying work now with current exhibitions by by Enki Bilal, Philippe Druillet and Squaz. If you can read Italian, there is a ton of written material on the artists and their work. Sadly, I cannot.


Miss Eclipse is kicking off the SIM with some late night (for me) dance parties. I'm going to try my best to stay up late enough to attend the next of these.


Visit Sintetika


I will be writing a lot more about art in Second Life. Remember, if you have any tips for us, drop us a note to let us know what you would like to see covered. Support the arts!


--Pika

No comments: