Sunday, February 3, 2008

Changes : Tableau

Change comes to Second Life:

When Tracy and I met, I was nearly a year old but had been away from Second Life for many months. I found upon returning that many things had changed drastically.

The first things I noticed were disappearing SIMs or SIMs I had once been fond of changing drastically for the worse, In my opinion. Avalon, once a symbol of utopian futurism and home to Duran Duran had become a trade fair for the usual furniture and AV accessory vendors. Overdrive Island had been one of my favorite places to visit. Again, this SIM had been remade as merely a shopping mall with a futuristic vibe.

I was saddened to hear from a friend that Tableau had been remade in much the same model. I had to see it for myself. I expected the worst but was pleasantly surprised with a truly beautiful SIM, reminiscent of an American southern town lit up for the holidays with Christmas lights shaped like Chile Peppers. The town square is lush and inviting and by the way, the shopping is better than ever. Fashionably Dead (the psychadelic haunted house), Tiny Sea Dog, and the Nylon Outfiitters are just a few of the excellent shops.

A "tunnel of love"-esque swan shaped boat ride commemorates the changeover from the old Tableau with it's Area 51 theme to the current haunted bayou and giant lizard theme.


Across the swamp from the central square, there is a spooky graveyard complete with green fog obscuring the grass and your feet as you tip toe through the graveyard, wary of waking the residents.


A giant Crocodile guards the town from atop a hillside. Don't be afraid to enter his mouth. Inside his belly is Cafe De Croc, a very cozy little club with a fireplace, crystal chandelier and showgirl swings.


If more shopping Sims could take a clue from Tableau, I would very much welcome exploring them and writing stories on this blog. So change doesn't have to be a bad thing. Next time I'm blogging to you about sculpted shoes. Who knew?

No comments: