Monday, May 12, 2008

Spontaneously Arty

SL sometimes gets to be like watching television in the way that it can be a pointless time sink. I have found myself logging in with no destination in mind and doing nothing but freebie shopping or taking pictures I will never look at again. I have anxiety about running into friends, knowing they will acknowledge my addiction problem. Fortunately for me, they share my addiction although no one can match my level of sloth. I have discovered my disinterest in working for Lindens in SL. I expect my time in SL to be a break from that, to be leisure. However,  I want to give something back, not just be a spectator... to be an active participant.

So, I was on a very late night shopping spree and falling asleep when my friend Peter logged in. He had asked me if I would like a hug goodnight and I of course said yes. We met at spaceport alpha in our Nicky Ree spacesuits, an impressive sight if I do say so. As we hugged goodnight, I instantly saw the artistic value of this image and started snapping away.

This is one of my favorite things about SL: the tendency towards spontaneous creativity (if one is a bit loose with the definition of creativity). reminds me of the time I saw hundreds of Santa Clauses at  Washington Square Park in San Francisco. They were having fun and it was a more than average day in a more than average city.

I have spent hours dancing by myself taking snapshots at places like Sintetika's Immersivity exhibit (seen below) or at the Collective, for instance. So many amazing AVs and photogenic SIMs in which to share our experiences. Experiencing and documenting this surreality is my current function in SL and no one does it quite like me.


3 comments:

Peter Stindberg said...

Welcome back! And wonderful work on the photos!

Caterin Semyorka said...

Hi Pika, lovely shots, get a Flickr account!!

Peter Stindberg said...

That's what I told her as well...